The overall glazing for the project may be controlled in Target by setting the Current Percentage Glazing value. This will apply to all facades and surfaces in the project.
1. Set the Window to Wall ratio
- Ensure that all Facades are unlocked
- Facades which are unlocked will have the Current Percentage Glazing value applied
- For example, set 50% for Current Percentage Glazing in Target
- Press Return on the keyboard
- In the Charts and Dashboard, view the glazing percentage for all Facades (50%)
2. Lock a selection of Surfaces
- Lock Surfaces by making a selection in the Façade Navigator list and then unchecking ‘Selected surfaces unlocked’
- In this example, Facades 1 – 5 will now be locked so that these will remain at 50%
- A padlock symbol will appear bedside locked Surfaces/Facades in the list to indicate which are currently locked
3. Select All Facades (some are locked and will not be affected by the following changes)
- Surfaces which are unlocked (Facades 6 – 8) are available for adjustment
- These may be adjusted to 80% by using the Façade Manager
- In the Glazing Specification Tab type in 80 and press Return on the keyboard
- The Charts will update to the new percentage for these selections only
4. Deselect All and view the Glazing Charts
- This will allow you to view all Facades
- Surfaces which were locked remained at 50% (they were not modified when other Surfaces are adjusted)
- Only Surfaces which were unlocked were changed to 80%
- Alternatively, you could apply 80% for Overall Percentage Glazing in Target and this would only be applied to the unlocked Facades
5. Make all Facades Unlocked
- You will only be able to use the Lock/Unlock button when all but one Facades are selected. If all are selected, you will not see this button as it is not possible to lock or unlock all Facades at once.
- Select the previously locked Facades (Facades 1 – 5) and unlock these
- In the Building Configuration window (which applies to all), check the lock/unlock checkbox
- Selected Surfaces will then be unlocked
6. Adjust selected Façades/Surfaces
- All Facades that are now unlocked may have custom Glazing Percentages applied
- Select a Façade in the Façade Navigator eg. Choose Façade 5 South
- In the Selected Surfaces Configuration (which applies to only a selected Surface) – check the lock/unlock function to allow adjustment
It will display Selected Surfaces unlocked in bold typeface when the Surfaces are unlocked (available for adjustment).
It will display Selected Surfaces locked in normal typeface when the Surfaces are locked (not available for adjustment).
- Eg. Façade 5 for instance may be set to 95%
- The Charts will display that all Surfaces on this Façade have been set to 95%
Note: If you select multiple Facades/Surfaces and there is a mixture of locked and unlocked elements, you will see the message Selection is not Unique.
- Note: that other Facades will remain at 50% since they are locked
- You may confirm this by selecting all Facades in the list and viewing the Charts again
- When complete, Lock Façade 4 South
7. Unlock another Facade for adjustment
- Eg. Select Façade 3 in the Façade Navigator
- Façade 3 West may be unlocked and set to 0%
- The results will update while any locked Facades (4 South) will not be affected
8. Ensure that Facade 4 is still locked but that all other Facades are unlocked
- Make a selection of Facades 5,6 and 7 and set their Glazing Percentage to 85%
- Note: that the locked Surface 4 remains at 95% but Facades that were unlocked (available for adjustment) – have now changed from 50% to 30%
- This is because enough Surfaces were raised to 85%, while the model is trying to maintain the overall percentage for the project at 50%.
- View the results in the Glazing Charts:
Façade 4 South has 95%
Façade 3 West has 0%
Façades 5,6 and 7 have 85%
All other Facades have 30%
- Since several Surfaces have increased to 85% others were unlocked and these have been adjusted down to 30%. This allows a value close to the overall 50% to be maintained.
- Ensure that Facade 3 is now locked
- Facades 3 and 4 should be locked and all others are unlocked
- Select All in the Facade Navigator – Auto-Distribute is now available for the remaining ‘unlocked’ Facades
- Auto-distribute equalizes the Solar Load to all unlocked Facades/Surfaces and adjusts the glazing percentage for each Façade to allow this to happen
- Facades/Surfaces that are locked (Façade 4 South and Façade 3 West) will not be affected
- View the results in the Charts
- Unlocked Façade Glazing has been adjusted to maintain close to the overall 50% for the model.
Note: only unlocked Surfaces with some glazing percentage will be adjusted. The Façade with 0% glazing was not affected.
Solar Loads are distributed equally to all unlocked Surfaces. This is done by adjusting glazing areas on unlocked Surfaces. Locked Surfaces are unaffected.
The glazing percentage applied to each Surface will depend on the area of the Surface as a ratio of the total surface area.