The overall glazing for the project (Window to Wall ratios) may be controlled in the Performance Manager by setting the Current Percentage Glazing value. This will apply to all Facades and Surfaces in the project.
Choose a Mass model for this exercise. A sample mass model is available here.
Open a Mass model and launch FenestraPro for Revit. There should be no glazing percentage set yet. This may be done by typing in 0.00 in the Overall Percentage Glazing box and press Return on your keyboard. Open the Charts and review. The Dashboard dials will display zero for most indicators.
1. Set the Window to Wall ratio in the Performance Manager
- Ensure that all Facades are unlocked
- Facades which are unlocked will have the Current Percentage Glazing value applied
- For example, set 50% for Current Percentage Glazing in the Performance Manager
- Press Return on the keyboard
- In the Charts and Dashboard, view the glazing percentage for all Facades (50%)
2. Lock a selection of Surfaces
- Lock Surfaces by making a selection in the Façade Navigator list and then unchecking ‘Selected surfaces unlocked’
- To do this, click on the vertical blue bar at the left hand side to open the Facade Navigator. Once selections are made, the Facades tab will appear and you may lock these selections. Click in the main window (outside the Facade Navigator) to access the Facades area
- In this example, Facades 1 – 5 will now be locked so that these will remain at 50%
- Click back into the Facade Navigator and expand the Facade lists. A padlock symbol will appear bedside locked Surfaces/Facades in the list to indicate which are currently locked
- The selections will highlight on the model also
3. Select All Facades (some Facades/Surfaces are locked and will not be affected by the following changes)
- Surfaces which are unlocked (Facades 6 – 8) are available for adjustment
- These may be adjusted to 80% under the Façades tab
- In the Glazing Specification Tab type in 80 and press Return on the keyboard
- The Charts will display updates to the new percentage for these unlocked selections only
4. Deselect All and view the Glazing Charts
- This will allow you to view all Facades (when Select All is used, all Surfaces will display instead of Facades)
- Surfaces which were locked remained at 50% (they were not modified when other Surfaces are adjusted)
- Only Surfaces which were unlocked were changed to 80%
- Alternatively, you could apply 80% for Overall Percentage Glazing in the Performance tab and this would only be applied to the unlocked Facades
5. Review the Overall Percentage Glazing in the Performance tab
- Click outside the Facade Navigator to allow it to collapse
- In the Performance tab, review the Overall value. It has now raised from 40% to 56.25%. This is because enough Surfaces with sufficient area have been raised to 80% and this has affected the Overall value.
- Select Facades 1 – 4 and unlock them
- Leave Facade 5 locked
- Switch to the Solar Loads Chart and Deselect All in the Facade Navigator list
- Facades have different Solar Loads acting on them since they have different orientations (South, East, West, North)
- Color highlighting on the model indicates this (use Select All to display this)
- Then use the Auto-Distribute button to equalize the Solar Loads to all Facades on the model
- Glazing areas on each orientation are adjusted to allow equalization of the Solar Loads to each face of the model
- As Facade 5 is locked, all Surfaces on this Facade remain unaffected (the principle also works if individual Surfaces are locked)
- Review the Glazing Chart to confirm that glazing has been adjusted on different Facades to allow this
Note: only unlocked Surfaces with some glazing percentage will be adjusted. Locked Surfaces and any Façade with 0% glazing will not be affected.
Solar Loads are distributed equally to all unlocked Surfaces. This is done by adjusting glazing areas on unlocked Surfaces.
The glazing percentage applied to each Surface will depend on the area of the Surface as a ratio of the total surface area.